The Structural Design Engineer is responsible for independently
performing engineering tasks related to structural design and
analysis. The person in this position must be licensed to practice
civil engineering in the state of primary practice or should be
licensed in a different state with the ability to get the required
license within 6 months of hire. This person is expected to
exercise strong engineering judgment and demonstrate strong
Structural engineering fundamentals. The person in this position is
also expected to work well with others, absorb and apply
constructive criticism and seek guidance from more experienced
members of the team as necessary. This position requires a
willingness to learn skills and perform a variety of tasks not
directly related to the field of Structural engineering, including,
but not limited to: construction support assignments, in-service
inspections, bridge, roadway and other civil engineering tasks.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Perform structural engineering related calculations, analysis,
- Coordinate drafting requirements for structural engineering
- Coordinate with government agencies, client staff, and other
professionals to obtain design information and approvals.
- Prepare and route project related correspondence and record
- Learn and apply company standards and best practices.
- Work collaboratively within multi-disciplinary teams.
- Work efficiently to meet deadlines and perform tasks within a
given amount of time.
- Develop rudimentary understanding of project budgets and
- Develop familiarity with a variety of design codes related to
- Consistently exercise discretion and judgment in all work
- Follows DOWL's safety program and maintain a safe work
environment at the office and in the field.
- Follows DOWL's Operational Excellence program to maintain a
high standard for deliverables and engineering calculations.
- Other duties as assigned.
To be successful in this position, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed
below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability
Education and/or Experience
This position requires a Bachelor's degree in engineering
(Structural, structural) from an accredited university and 4 years'
progressive experience or a Master's degree in structural
engineering (Structural, structural) and 3 years' progressive
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
PE Required: This position is for a licensed engineer to
practice civil engineering in the state of primary practice or
should be licensed in a different state with the ability to get the
required license within 6 months of hire.
Must have a valid driver's license and a good driving
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability
and statistical analysis, and fundamentals of geometry and
trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions,
percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Job Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to effectively present information to clients,
co-workers, and the public. He/she must also have excellent writing
skills and be able to communicate effectively with large and
- Strong structural engineering fundamentals including physics,
statics, strength of materials, structural analysis, steel and
- Ability to accurately complete engineering calculations by
- Exceptional technical and communication skills.
- Strong organization skills.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and
draw valid conclusions.
- Must be able to use Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, and Project
- Basic level CAD proficiency using AutoCAD and/or
- Intermediate level proficiency with one or more of the
following structural analysis programs: SAP2000, Risa3D, Midas, or
- Intermediate level proficiency with MathCAD.
- Strong understanding of seismic design principles and analysis
- Ability to prioritize special projects and daily workload to
ensure that all work is completed in a timely and efficient
- Master's Degree in bridge or structural engineering from an
accredited engineering program.
- Advanced level proficiency with one or more of the following
structural analysis programs: SAP2000, Risa3D, Midas, or GT
- Advanced level proficiency with MathCAD.
- Seismic design experience including non-linear analysis.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment described here are
representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is
regularly required to sit. The employee is required to talk and
hear. The employee is regularly required to stand; walk and use
hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee must occasionally
lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities
required by this position include close vision and ability to
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
$71,835 - $107,752